Dick's Sporting Goods will immediately end sales of assault-style rifles in its stores and won't sell guns to anyone under 21 years old following the school massacre in Parkland, Florida.In an open letter released on its website on Wednesday, the chain's CEO Edward Stack said it was time for the country to do more to end violence.
We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.'We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.' The store will also stop selling high capacity magazines and is calling on congress to ban assault rifles all together.
Later, Stack appeared on Good Morning America to explain the decision.
Stack says that the gunman, Nickolas Cruz, had purchased a gun at a Dick's store, but not the one used at the school shooting, even though all existing rules were followed.
Stack says that the system that's in place won't stop sales to dangerous people and said lawmakers must do something.
CEO Edward Stack looked at pains as he described the company's disgust over the Parkland shooting.
He said they felt compelled to do something to make it harder for deranged shooters to purchase weapons 'As we looked at what happened down in Parkland, we were so disturbed and saddened by what happened.