Huntsville is the third-largest city in Alabama and the largest city in the five-county Huntsville-Decatur-Albertville, AL Combined Statistical Area, which at the 2013 census estimate had a total population of 683,871.
It grew across nearby hills north of the Tennessee River, adding textile mills, then munitions factories, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center and the United States Army Aviation and Missile Command nearby at the Redstone Arsenal.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation named Huntsville to its "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations for 2010" list.
However, due to anti-British sentiment during this period, the name was changed to "Huntsville" to honor John Hunt, who had been forced to move to other land south of the new city.
In 1811, Huntsville became the first incorporated town in Alabama.
However, the recognized "birth" year of the city is 1805, the year of John Hunt's arrival. During the Great Depression, the house was measured to be included in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Archive and was photographed by Frances Benjamin Johnston, but it had been abandoned for years and was considerably deteriorated.
The city's sesquicentennial anniversary was held in 1955, David Wade arrived in Huntsville in 1817. It was torn down in 1952 and today only the antebellum smokehouse, an imposing structure, survives.
He built the David Wade House on the north side of Bob Wade Lane (Robert B. In 1819, Huntsville hosted a constitutional convention in Walker Allen's large cabinetmaking shop.
The 44 delegates meeting there wrote a constitution for the new state of Alabama.